Friday, September 8, 2017

Butternut Squash Risotto

Butternut Squash Risotto




     Today, I am going to attempt to make butternut squash risotto! As usual when cooking with me, there were multiple learning experiences and I actually forgot to add an ingredient this time. However, the good news is that this dish turned out fantastic! The recipe used was found on grubhub. 


Ingredients:

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp ghee
2 large onions, diced
2 tsp salt
2 butternut squashes, peeled, sliced, and cubed
1/4 quarter cup white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1-2 cups chicken broth


Instructions:
1. Heat the olive oil and ghee in a large pot over low-medium heat. Add the onions and salt. Cook for 15-20 minutes until slightly caramelized, stirring occasionally. 

2. Peel, slice, and cube the butternut squash. (This was my first time actually cutting up butternut squash. I cut the bulb off of the bottom and just used the top part of the butternut squash, so I may have had less than 2 butternut squashes.)


3. Meanwhile, working in batches, place the squash in a food processor and pulse until it reaches a rice-like consistency. (I only had a small food processor and it broke about 3/4 of the way through. I would strongly recommend a full-sized food processor if you're going to attempt putting butternut squash in it.)

4. Add the squash to the pan once the onions are caramelized and saute for 3-4 minutes. Then add the vinegar, parsley, and broth. (The vinegar is the ingredient that I forgot. Oh well, next time! Also, I only put in 1 cup of broth rather than 2 due to the fact that after leaving out the squash bulbs and destroying the food processor about half way through, I now only had about 1 butternut squash all together.)

5. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash is completely tender. Add more broth if necessary and salt to taste. 


All in all, I thought this recipe turned out fantastic. The most difficult part was cutting and processing the butternut squash, but other than that, it was a very easy recipe. It also turned out delicious. Everyone in the family liked it, with only one person thinking that it could use a little more seasoning. Next time, I will remember the white wine vinegar and probably add in 2 Tbsp of parsley. Good luck and enjoy!


yours in health,
dr samantha boldt

No comments:

Post a Comment